Monday, June 18, 2012

The Sketchbook Project , first pages



Click on image to view larger.

A peek at the start of a new project, as part of The Sketchbook Project; you can view my post about this here.

I drew these with a Pitt Artist pen outside (sitting on a lumpy rock!), then back inside to a comfortable chair for lettering and adding color with my water-soluble pencils.  The paper is a nice bright white, and beautifully smooth.  The ink goes on like silk, with no noticeable bleeding or penetrating (so far).  My watercolor pencils worked nicely, picking up a light texture from the paper - however, too much water is a no-no which resulted in wrinkled pages.  I’ll have to pay attention to find that fine line between just enough and too much water from my waterbrush!

Click on image to view larger.

The details:
The Sketchbook Project book is from Scoutbooks.com, but I couldn’t find out any information on the paper. 
Ink:  Pitt Artist pen in black, size XS for the sketch, and S for the text.
Watersoluble media: Kimberly watercolor pencils (you can read about my set here), and Inktense by Derwent.
Brush:  Niji Aquabrush, small size.

The subjects:
I’ve written about both of these two lovely plants that are blooming right now in south Florida, so I won’t repeat myself!  If you’d like to read about the Florida butterfly orchid, please visit my post from last year.  Here is a link to the post from 2010, which also shows a honeybee and its funny pollen “hat” that I observed while drawing.

You can find the beach sunflower post here.  I started these from seed several months ago, and they are doing extremely well in a dry and sandy spot that nothing wanted to grow in before now.  The seeds took a VERY long time to germinate (or perhaps I’m an impatient gardener), but I’m glad they did.  The flowers lift my spirits every time I see them!

The cover:
Oh - and if you'd like to see what I've done with the cover so far, I wrapped it in a recycled and crumpled Tyvek envelope (blank side to the outside), and painted it with some leftover latex paint.  Wiping the paint with a damp paper towel removes enough to reveal the random fibers in the Tyvek, which add a lot of texture and interest.  The two colors I used were an "old gold" and a tobacco brown; leaving on more of the gold, and wiping off more of the brown. The last step was a seal coat with a matte acrylic medium.  I've found the Tyvek to be extremely durable as a sketchbook cover; even the wear marks add to the beauty.
Back and front of the sketchbook.

 There may be more to come regarding the cover - time will tell!  In the past I've used acrylic paint on my handmade sketchbook covers; if you'd like to see some examples, please visit my Flickr set here.

Click on images above to view them larger.
Thanks for visiting!