Monday, November 8, 2010

Tree snag


I confess to a fascination with dead wood, perhaps related to childhood memories of exploring woodpiles and decomposing logs. The echo of life is still there –I can imagine the seedling reaching for the sun, the unfurling of bud and leaf and inflorescence, the ripening of fruit or nut.

After death, another cycle of life begins – that of detritivores. On the microscopic level, bacteria and fungi colonize and start the breakdown process.

Invertebrates such as beetles, borers, and termites process wood nutrients or feast on fungi, and are feasted on in turn by vertebrates such as woodpeckers, anoles, and armadillos. Dead trees are used as homes by many species, including birds, bats, and squirrels.

This particular tree was an oak, probably a laurel oak. Something damaged it (lightning, a falling tree?), and the bark shows signs of regrowth round the split. The exterior bark and interior wood seemed to mirror each other, a glimpse of the past and present.

While nature may be extravagant, nothing goes to waste; all is consumed, refashioned, and repurposed – nature is the ultimate recycler.

You can click on the image to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

9 comments:

  1. You did an outstanding job on the bark of this old stump. I have quite a collection of photos of dead old trees. I have been scared to try to recreate the texture and color of these interesing old trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could learn a lesson or two from nature's use and repurposing. The native Americans thought that trees held the spirits of others who had gone before them.

    I occasionally fancy that I can see "a shape" or a face of the spirit...do you ever notice anything like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Lisa, and Laure!

    Lisa - I have photos of dead trees, too, stashed away - images worth capturing. I always feel daunted when I start a drawing of them, too, but once I start I can't seem to stop! Try it as a practice piece or a meditation exercise, so you can enjoy the process without worrying about the outcome. :)

    Laure - interesting that you mention the faces in trees...yes, occasionally I do see them, and body shapes as well. The other day I saw a bleached trunk that I called "running man." From the corner of my eye the twisted branches formed that shape. Maybe that helps explain our connection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Lisa--the texture on the trunk is great. I think it's fun to try to capture texture in drawing and painting, and you've done a beautiful job. Your description was very poetic as well: I love the phrase "the echo of life"--you're an artist with words, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy, and thanks! Praise coming from a word artist like yourself is the highest compliment I could ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I beat Nature to the recycling : I have a piece of dead trunk to disguise my freestanding hose bibb! Lovely drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeanette - I guess you're part of the "dead wood" community, too! I have a lovely piece of driftwood that really doesn't do anything; at least yours has a purpose. :) It's a good thing I don't have a pickup truck, or I'd bring a lot more home...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you probably have figured out by now, I, too, love the artistic quality of dead trees ... along with their history. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elva - I KNOW you are in this club! I admire your way with trees and the birds that use them. :)

    ReplyDelete