Saturday, November 13, 2010

Spatterdock


Spatterdock is a common emergent plant also known as cow lily, alligator bonnet, alligator blanket, and yellow pond lily. Spatterdock runs a tight race as a favorite name next to alligator bonnet. “Alligator bonnet” paints a cherished image in my imagination, but “spatterdock” has rhythm and mystery going for it.

I’ve looked at many online sites and checked my books – but I haven’t been able to find the origins of the common name of spatterdock. Perhaps the leaves reminded someone once of a heart-shaped leaved dock, but why “spatter”? Maybe one of my learned friends can tell me.

This plant seems to grow nearly everywhere in the United States, and was used historically for food and medicine by native people. The rhizome was used as a starchy vegetable in stews, or dried and ground for baking flour. The seeds were cooked like popcorn. Medicinally, the roots were used for poultices, and the leaves to stop bleeding.

Although an altogether useful plant, I was content last week to sit on the dock and enjoy the bright yellow flowers against the dark, wind-rippled water, and trace the outlines of the varied heart-shaped leaves on my paper. If you’d like to see a bit more of this plant, this link from the University of Florida has a video that includes a look at the rhizome.

You can click on the image above to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

8 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, your art work is just incredible! I wish I could do that. Great links and information as well. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! With practice, we can all learn to draw and paint. :) The first step is... well, starting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the looks of your lovely painting, I would guess the "spatter" came from the way the flowers look as though someone spattered them across the water. Your little spattering was an especially nice touch! So apropos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanette! I think I was subconciously thinking that the flowers looked that way - as opposed to the stately formal look of waterlilies. Thank you for your kind comments, the water was harder to pait than I would like...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did not know either of the names of this plant, but I love "spatterdock" and "alligator bonnet"--how quirky. Lovely illustration, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello there thanks for your grat post, as usual ((o:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kathy! The names are pictures in themselves, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful sketches, Elizabeth!! I was glad to read that you trace the leaves. I was doing that in my sketchbook this Fall :-)

    ReplyDelete