Sunday, July 15, 2012

Black-eyed Susan


Summertime yellows, I see them everywhere!  Fragments of yellow blossoms flash against the green landscape like tiny bits of sunlight.  Tickseed, beach sunflower, cassia, and black-eyed Susans are all blooming now. 

Black-eyed Susan (Rudbeckia hirta) differs from many of our yellow composite wildflowers by the shape of the fertile array of disk flowers (the brown center); it has a distinctive cone shape that is similar to Echinacea or purple coneflower.  In fact, another common name for black-eyed Susan is yellow coneflower.
Wikipedia reports that the roots have been used like those of Echinacea.  Black-eyed Susan contains anthocyanin, an antioxidant found in many purple, blue, and red fruits such as blueberries, raspberries, and cranberries, as well as the stems, leaves, and flower petals of some plants.  Historically, different parts of the wildflower were used by Native Americans for various ailments.  The Cherokee used the roots for snakebite, worms, and earaches.1   Seminoles used the coneflowers for headaches and fevers. 2

Black-eyed Susan grows as a wildflower throughout most of the United States, but is also a popular cultivated garden flower.  It’s a biennial plant, with a two year life span, but sometimes grows as a short-lived perennial.  Forming a basal rosette of leaves the first year, plants send up stems and bloom the second year.  In Florida, I usually see them growing along the edges of grassy areas near pine flatwoods.  Black-eyed Susan blooms attract bees, butterflies, and other insects foraging for nectar and pollen, and birds for the ripe seedheads. 

The leaves and stems are scabrous, an interesting-sounding word that always bring to my mind the term “frabjous” from The Jabberwocky.  Scabrous actually has a more ordinary meaning: rough, or having a rough surface, an apt description of the coarse bristly hairs covering those parts.  The species name refers to these hairs as well; hirtus is from the Latin for “hairy.”  The genus name of Rudbeckia was bestowed by Linnaeus to honor Olaus Rudbeck, one of his botany professors.

Reading and researching black-eyed Susan online brought up some other fascinating tidbits.  Sending a black-eyed Susan bouquet to a loved one in Victorian times meant “encouragement.”  I also came across a charming and romantic legend about black-eyed Susan and sweet William, memorialized in a poem by English author John Gay.  I grew up knowing sweet William as a type of wild phlox, with five petals and light blue-to-lavender in color.  It’s more probable that the name sweet William actually refers to a type of Dianthus, which is native to Europe.

I drew this as part of The Sketchbook Project in the small sketchbook provided.  If you’re not familiar with the project, you can read about it here.  So far, my booklet seems to be turning into a collection of flowers found in Florida – but we’ll wait to see what else might appear on its pages!  So far, I think this one has to be my favorite; after sketching and reading about this common wildflower, I have a deepened appreciation for its uncommon beauty and history.

**Note: ethnobotany information is intended for educational purposes only, please consult reliable  sources before attempting to duplicate any medical uses!**
  

Media:
The Sketchbook Project sketchbook,
Pitt Artist pen in black, size XS for the sketch, and S for the text
Kimberly watercolor pencils, Derwent Inktense,
Niji Aquabrush, small size.
  
For further reading:
US Department of Agriculture, with range map 
Floridata,  descriptions and growing information

11 comments:

  1. A beautiful rendering of one of my favorite flowers!

    I took a peek at the Sketchbook Project. Yours is going to be a breath of fresh air amongst all the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely spread! ANd your research just gets better and better! Love all the derivations of word meanings. Though thesis a common flower, I'd never thought about "hirta" and "scabrous". "Scabrous" is almost onomatopoeian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Eva! You've probably seen a lot of these wildflowers in your travels, but they are sporadic here. I've been reading that it was originally thought that they were spread throughout North America by people traveling from the Midwest, but the new theory is that the plants slowly migrated east and west through seed dispersal and birds, etc. interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jeanette and thank you! I must say that this lovely wildflower was easily researched; it is a beloved plant with some nicely documented history!

    Yes, scabrous does have a scratchy, bristly, rough sound to it, doesn't it? Great word! I love the connections between words and objects; we humans are endlessly fascinating. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely sketch and interesting information. I should think that your sketchbook for the project would be a delight to look through--I know I'm enjoying the pages you're posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful drawings! I did the Sketchbook Project too! How did you get the paper so bright? I was very frustrated by the quality of the paper in the sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz - thank you so much for your kind words!

    Did you do the project this year? I've heard that previous year's sketchbook papers were thin and hard to work on, but these (while thin) are a bright white and work well with pen. I'm using watercolor pencil and VERY LITTLE water as the paper buckles at the first drop! :0 So far that has seemed to work.

    There is a point at which I start to have bleed-through, so I back off. A heavy hand won't let you use the back side of the pages. It's trial and error on my part, hopefully by the end of the project I'll work it all out!

    These books are made by Scout Books, I think. The paper is indeed a pleasing bright white, smooth and takes my Pitt pen lines well. It does have a light texture that shows up in the wc pencil, so it might be nice with pencil as well.

    So sorry to hear that it was a frustrating experience. Good materials make such a difference. I think I was prepared for a challenge, as several online buddies had done the project and shared their thoughts and complaints. I hope they improve the sketchbooks for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice post! I've just added you to my blog roll after finding your blog. Love your work here :-)

    These flowers are popular subjects this time of year. I did a post recently as well with a bit different take on them lol! You might get a chuckle from it :-)

    http://idleminutes.com/2012/08/05/black-eyed-susan/

    Keep it up! I'll follow you in my RSS reader :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Don, thanks for your comments! Yes, I did get a chuckle from your journal entry!! Beautiful drawings and lovely writing I must say. :) I'd love to add your blog to my roll as well.

    ReplyDelete