Monday, June 25, 2012

Coral honeysuckle


You can click on the images to view larger.

Coral honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) is blooming in Southwest Florida now.  One of the things I love about this native vine is that it’s relatively easy to maintain once established, and is non-invasive, unlike some of its relatives.  It grows throughout Florida, north to Canada and west to the Midwest in the US.

Another thing I like is that the blooms attract ruby-throat hummingbirds and a large variety of butterflies.  The large swallowtails visit our yard more frequently when it’s in full bloom, especially the brilliant yellow and black Giant Swallowtail butterfly.  I’ve read that clearwing moths use honeysuckles as larval foods, but I’ve never seen them around.

The trumpet-like flowers are a mix of lovely shades of deep yellow, coral, and carmine, and the opposite oval-shaped leaves are bright green on top, with a pale green underside.  Right now, the berries are forming and are green; they’ll ripen to a shiny red later to be eaten by songbirds. 

The genus name Lonicera is a tribute to Adam Lonicer, a 16th century German botanist, and the species name sempervirens is from the Latin for “always alive” which describes its evergreen habit in the South.  It does tend to drop some leaves in the winter in our area, but not many. 

I gathered these leaves and flowers to sketch inside as part of The Sketchbook Project I’m creating, since Tropical Storm Debby has pushed her low gray clouds, rain, and wind (even tornadoes!) into our corner of Southwest Florida.  We’ve had a rainy week already, and it looks like we’ll have more in store next week. Hope you all are save and dry!

Media:
The Sketchbook Project sketchbook,
Pitt Artist pen in black, size XS for the sketch, and S for the text
(I’m determined to sketch directly with pen throughout the book…we’ll see how that goes!),
Kimberly watercolor pencils,
Niji Aquabrush, small size (sparingly, as pages buckle easily).


For more information on coral honeysuckle, visit Floridata’s site.

For a range map on their distribution in the US, visit the USDA’s page (scroll down to see map).






12 comments:

  1. Debby is even being felt on this coast!! Sick to death of the rain, but happy for the plants!!
    Really enjoyed your sketches and post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen - thanks so much for your kind words! Wow - I see you're in Vero Beach and can't believe you're also feeling Debby's effects. We haven't seen the sun for a while and hoping to dry out soon. You're right, the plants really love this, though! I love your blackberry lily photos, I've never seen those before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, Elizabeth! Your book is growing :) Rain all day here today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had nothing but rain since Saturday! There's a little break right now and I'm going to hustle down to the barn to see that my horse hasn't washed away! I think more rain is expected in the next day or two.

    Anyway...lovely drawings. I enjoy seeing this plant blooming when I take walks in our neighborhood. I didn't know it had berries; I'll have to keep an eye open for those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice drawings! I am thinking about the sketchbook project, can I commit? Love the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam! The sun actually came out this morning, but then we had rain showers after lunch. The wind has died down quite a bit from yesterday, too. it felt so good to see the sun after long weeks of low gray clouds. Having all those blank pages is motivating me - I hope I can keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are staying dry, Kathy! You must be getting quite a bit of water - I'm sure you're as sick of the rain as we are!

    Thanks for your kind words on my drawings. They're relatively quick, which means you'll see boo-boos and composition on-the-fly, but good practice for me, even though each page starts with a bit of "stage-fright." ;)

    The coral honeysuckle berries right now are the same color as the leaves, so they're inconspicuous, late July or August they should change.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Lynn! The Sketchbook Project charges a small fee, and I think that they're giving away a free "sleeping-bag" for your sketchbook if you sign up before midnight today. Their site is here. if I do this link correctly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Facebook friend shared a link to her friend's sketchbook from The 2012 Sketchbook Project, which is a digitized version of her "Fall Wildflowers of the Ocala National Forest" if one is interested in viewing. I think you have to create an account to view it, though. She did them on site, sitting along the trail. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm excited about your sketchbook project. I hope we get to see all the pages.

    I'm tempted to do it too, but I had better wait until next year.

    Your cover has so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to know there's a non-invasive native! Lovely details and great description!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Elva! I know what you mean...last year I thought I'd like to do this but then common sense took over. This year I didn't let it get that far or I wouldn't have done it. :) Thank you!

    Hello Jeanette, and thank you so much! Yes, coral honeysuckle has wonderful manners and tends to keep to itself. It does get a little ragged looking in the winter but makes up for it in the spring!

    ReplyDelete