Saturday, May 15, 2010

Dragonfly


Dragonfly, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

I found this dead dragonfly on the ground recently; perfect for observing those tiny details and for a closer study.  Their life span is measured in months - so although I felt sad at its death, it seemed special that I found this specimen in great condition (except for a couple of missing legs). Usually I find only partial bodies of decomposing insects, often in the process of being consumed by other insects!

I don't know much about dragonfllies, so naturally I went off to research them. the fist thing I learned is that this is a skimmer, one of the dragonfly families. I found out that the order Odonata means "toothed one," and also read an interesting theory on the origin of their common name.  You can read the short theory here.

I carefully drew this out in pencil first, then used my Sakura Micron Pigma sepia pens to outline and fill with texture, using hatching and cross-hatching to get my deepest browns. I added watercolor washes, using Daniel Smith Burnt and Raw Umbers, as well as the Quinacridone Gold (yes, from my new palette!).

Since this is my personal nature journal, I didn't feel compelled to draw each vein, although someday I would like to be able to enjoy the patience (and eyesight) to do so!  The enlarged wing detail is off in proportion (yikes); I think I was overwhelmed anticipating all of those wonderful netted veins! 

The important part of this exercise is that I learned a lot from my observations and research, and enjoyed quieting my busy left brain while I focused on line and form and texture.  Ahhhhhhh...



You can click on the image above to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

5 comments:

  1. So funny how a deceased bug find can make the heart beat faster...I share your enthusiasm for "road kill"....it's the only way to really see these up close and of course we can't go around killing them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, Jeanette! We're stuck between a soft heart and a desire to draw them up close. I've heard of artists freezing or refrigerating insects temporarily to render them immobile for a time. But first you have to catch them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great page, Elizabeth!! I, too, love happening upon deceased insects. The detail in the wings has always thrilled me, but I'm with you..... my eyes need heavy duty optics and my patience needs working on too :)

    Someone told me to look at trailer truck grills at highway rest stops. The grills usually carry lots of insects for the picking. Haven't done this yet, but it make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful to follow where your curiosity leads you. Very nice page, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam, and thank you! I can see me now investigating someone’s truck grille! I’m always wondering how I will explain some of the things I find on my walks and pick up and take back with me. : )

    Thanks, Kathy, for joining me on my journey. Your visit and company are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete