Monday, July 2, 2012

Blue porterweed


Click to view larger.


This is my next set of pages for The Sketchbook Project.  Blue porterweed is an unusual plant that grows wild among the coastal scrub plants at Barefoot Beach Park, but it also happens to be a volunteer in my yard.  Several species of porterweed are cultivated in south Florida, with one species debated as a Florida native, Stachytarpheta jamaicensis

I think my volunteers might be a hybrid of exotic and native, since they seem to have characteristics of both.  The flowers on this plant are a violet to violet-blue, but some porterweeds have vivid clear blue blossoms.  My sub-shrubs, as they are called, are low in height and have a spreading habit, a native feature.  The leaves however, have a hint of the “quiltiness” of the exotic and larger shrubs. 

Flower close-up.
Butterflies love the flowers, especially Zebra Longwings, Gulf Fritillaries, and Julias.  According to the North American Butterfly Association (NABA), blue porterweed is the host plant for the Tropical Buckeye butterfly, although I haven’t seen any visiting.  I would love to add another host plant to my sparse butterfly offerings.  It seems that I notice more butterflies when their larval foods are nearby.

Let me add that these plants meet my basic criteria of “tolerates neglect,” since my gardening time is hit-and-miss.  Historically, a foaming porter-like tea (porter is beer or ale) has been made from the plant to treat several medical conditions, giving the plant its common name of “porterweed.”  A member of the Verbena or Vervain family of plants, porterweed is common throughout the Caribbean.

I’m happy to report that with the exception of a few tree branches down, the rain and wind of Tropical Storm Debby are memories, and the sun has come back out!

For more reading:

NABA Butterfly Gardening and Habitat Program – Blue porterweed information 

The Pinellas Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society, Roger Hammer on porterweeds, native vs. exotic


Media:
The Sketchbook Project sketchbook,
Pitt Artist pen in black, size XS for the sketch, and S for the text
Kimberly watercolor pencils,
Niji Aquabrush, small size.


8 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you escaped a lot of damage from Debby. We fared well ourselves--only a little bit of debris in the yard.

    I love "tolerates neglect" plants! They're really all I should have, because even though I really do enjoy gardening, I am very hit-or-miss about keeping up with it. This little blue fellow is darling. I don't think I've seen him around here, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy! I love gardening when I have the time, too -- nothing restore like a bit of dirt under the fingernails! These are tropical plants that may not like your cooler winters, but they should do well if protected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sketches are so incredibly text book perfect! The materials we used in class weren't anywhere near the acurate detail described by yours.
    I'm thrilled to have found this valuable , educational blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, and thank you so much! You kind words are making me blush.

    I know that learning about plants can be difficult because it's hard to see details in photos and drawings - and then the plants themselves have their own individual characteristics which make it worse!

    Drawing is my way of learning about the natural world around me - that's when I notice those tiny details and start asking questions that lead me to research and read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth,
    I really admire your sketchbook project. I recently attended "plant camp" throught the University of Florida's invasive and Aquatic plant center. 24 teachers from the state of Florida were chosen to learn about native, exotic and invasive plants to bring into the classroom. I would like to share your project with the teachers as I think they will love it and get lots of ideas from you, particularly since you are here in Florida. I gave a presentation on how to draw leaves and teach children how to start a sketch book. I will be writing articles on my own blog and would like to share your blog with my readers..... I am sure some of them are the same people!!!! How does this sound to you?
    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mindy! Thank you so much for your kind words on my Sketchbook Project drawings. Plant Camp sounds awesome! I remember when you were doing the leaf challenge - those leaves were amazing - so who better to teach teachers how to draw leaves?

    You are welcome to share my blog! Let me know if I can direct you to anything in particular, and feel free to email me (lizardart@gmail.com).

    How wonderful to share your talents and knowledge with educators to pass on to their students!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kate! It's been a great experience so far!

    ReplyDelete