Sunday, January 29, 2012

Orchard spiders

Orchard spider, close-up, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

My garden spiders

I’ve been watching these spiders for a while in my backyard. Their webs have been steadily expanding over the birdbath between two Walter Viburnum bushes, the fence, and a hummingbird feeder. At first I noticed one spider, then two, and now three. I don’t know if they were always there, if they congregated as social creatures, or if I’m seeing several generations.

The spiders are quite beautiful when the sun strikes them, with subtle iridescent colors that catch the light. The bulbous abdomens and silvery stripes enabled me to identify them up to the point of two possibilities. Either way, they belong to the same family of long-jawed orb weavers, sometimes called orchard spiders. My Audubon insect book says that these spiders are easily identified by their large and powerful jaws!



(Click on the image to view it larger.)
 
Between the spider’s natural tendency to bolt at my shadow, and the low power of my magnifying glass, I wasn’t able to get a good look at those formidable jaws. My camera wasn’t much good either, providing only blurry close-ups. However, I was able to use the photos as a basis for my pencil drawings prior to drawing the spiders in ink. Then I took a few minutes for intense observation, and jotted down some quick color notes in pencil. I especially tried to remember how the legs were attached, their shapes, and how they tapered.



Quick field color and pattern notes for adding to my drawing later.  Click on the image to view larger.

If my drawings are accurate enough, and you are knowledgeable about spiders, I’d love to know which species they are. I’m not sure that I show the appropriate sizes and colors of the small parts needed to tell them apart. My research tells me that both Leucauge venusta and Leucauge argyra live in Florida, but from there I’m stumped. Some sources say the webs are slightly different, some say they are the same. Some say that the markings vary, and some say they’re similar. I haven’t been able to look at the top of the spider, because their habit is to travel upside down along the bottom of their web. I really don’t want to disrupt them, so I’ll just leave them for now.

Update: A few minutes ago I checked them again, and noticed five spiders! And more webs!

9 comments:

  1. Very nice job on the spiders ... sorry I can't help you identify them. There are so many species of spiders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help with identification, but your post and drawings reminded me of a similar spider who took up residence on our front porch--"he" was there so long I sketched him and named him (Sylvester) and I was sad when I came out one morning and he was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Elva. I realized in my search that isn't a lot written about individual species since there ARE so many! I think I was able to narrow it down to these two because they are common and colorful.

    Hi Kathy, these spiders have certainly stayed around a while, and are mutiplying as I write this...Now the egg sac has collasped and I see more tiny spiders and webs. The latest and nicest web is circular, about the size of a CD, with a large space in the middle. The silk is very fine and dificult to spot unless misted with water.

    I love that you named your spider! Maybe he moved on...I have too many to name now, and they all look alike to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, I always love your attention to detail, both in the artwork and in your research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Ruca! I so appreciate the compliment - I am definitely a detail person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Elizabeth.

    As always, your posts are informative and your sketches superb. Based on the pattern of the stripes, I'd suggest you have L. venusta, but if you'd like to see a good discussion of the difference between the two, see this discussion on bugguide.net.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ben, and thanks for your suggestion! I went to your link at bugguide.net and must confess that I'm still confused -- but I think you are right. Thank you for your comment on my sketches (and writing)!

    The spiders are still out there and multiplying...today it's below 60 (F) so maybe I can observe them further when the sun comes out and they are slow. Part of my earlier problem was how rapidly they reacted to any nearby movement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was trying to identify it online myself (Leucauge venusta Orchard Spider...a type of Orb Weaver) so I took this picture.

    http://i.imgur.com/2DZrn.jpg

    Hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - Steph - that's a great photo! My spiders didn't have the bright distinctive colors yours does, the colors were a bit more muted but similar. Mine laid lots of eggs and made lots of webs and now have moved on to another part of the world. I kind of miss them. They stayed for about 2 to 3 months...perhaps they'll come back (I hope). They're beautiful in the early morning sun, especially when the dew is on the webs! :)

    ReplyDelete