Sunday, October 16, 2011

Sketchcrawl at Naples Preserve


Sketchcrawl at Naples Preserve, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

Yesterday eight of us met at the Naples Preserve to participate in the 33rd Worldwide SketchCrawl!  The sky was overcast, and the air was that soft, satiny texture that comes before a rain.  Thankfully the rain held off and we enjoyed exploring the boardwalk that winds through scrub habitat, and sketching the wonderful inhabitants. 


Young gopher tortoise ambling to its burrow. Length was about 12 inches.

Lavender, violet, yellow and blue were the colors of blooming flowers: moss verbena, Florida paintbrush, liatris (violet colors), black-eyed Susan, coreopsis, beach sunflowers (bright yellow) and dayflower (vivid, clear blue).  These were punctuated by the brilliant magenta-purple berries of American beautyberry. 

Gopher tortoise burrows dotted the sandy soil, and we spotted one partially hidden in its underground hideaway, and another smaller tortoise digging in the sugar sand.  Cicada and bird song accompanied our ambles, and we spotted red-bellied woodpeckers and mockingbirds flitting in and out of the scrub oaks. 


My watercolor of a wonderfully twisted sand live oak toward the beginning of the boardwalk.

In progress!


It was an enjoyable day: an opportunity to paint plein air and to make detailed studies of unusual plants.  Thank you to those who helped organize our event, and to those who attended!



13 comments:

  1. Looks like a fabulous day! Wish I could have come down. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful outing, Laure! you have an open invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DH and I plan to snowbird near Naples this year. Are you planning any outings I could join in through the winter?

    Your live oak is lovely!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suspinz, if you send me your email I'll be happy to add you to our list for future notifications! Starting in January, some participants will be joining up to go to the Fakahatchee Strand State Park (see the events tab for past photos), and we hope to make time in November and December of this year for another sketchcrawl in Naples. Email: lizardart@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun. Love your sketches. I forgot all about this event. I have been having fun reading all about it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Lisa! I wish I had taken more photos, though. Met new friends and caught up with old ones, sat and looked and drew and enjoyed...glad you joined us virtually!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a wonderful time! Love your sketches, especially the live oak. I fell in love with the ones I saw in south Texas years ago while attending a workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary, thanks for your kind words about my sand live oak. I love these trees as well - there is something about their ruggedness and grace that is appealing. It was a great way to spend the morning, and i hope to go back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful eventful day.. it's the kind of day we never forget and your sketches are so good, I live in Central Fl. and have been to Naples, Sanibel, Captiva many times .. each time is a new adventure... BJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounded like a super fun day! Wish I could have been there :-) Your paintings are fantastic, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Barbra Joan and Cindy! I've been out of town and have gotten a bit behind. Thank you both for your kind comments! You are both invited anytime we get together!! It was a wonderful day indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...gosh, Elizabeth. I love your complete paintings. Your style is just gorgeous. I love how you can weave all the sightings of the day together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kelly, now you are making me blush! I appreciate your kind words!

    ReplyDelete