Sunday, July 24, 2011

SketchCrawl on the museum grounds


One of the brick pathways that wind through the outdoor displays.

What a nice group of sketchers we had!  Our outing on Saturday was planned as part of the 32nd Worldwide SketchCrawl, an event that spans the world and joins artists and drawing enthusiasts for a day of creative sketching fun.  We met at the Collier County Museum from 9 am to 12 noon, and sketched and painted the lovely grounds in the back. 

Our sign, so visitors could find us.


It was a hot day, just right for a rest in the shade!
 

Being able to peek over other artist's shoulders while they're creating is very inspiring.  I came away with new ideas and increased enthusiasm to make art.  I felt lucky to be around these wonderfully creative people!  Check the SketchCrawl page (the tabs at the top under the banner) here on the blog soon for upcoming photos of our group, and for the next SketchCrawl location.  There is also an online photo gallery at our local paper - Naples News - that you can visit now to see some of the participants and their work.


Detail of a shell mound recreation.

You can click on the images to view them larger, and you can also see them larger on my Flickr photostream.

Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. Brave you! Going out in the heat to sketch! Lovely shell mound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Brave! Thank goodness it was in the morning. Love you pages. Especially love your detail on the shells and the date box is divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeanette! It wasn't just me, there were 9 other hardy souls out there braving the heat AND the humdity. The shell mound was so interesting to look at - full of shapes, colors, and textures.

    Hello Pam! We planned for the morning just because of the heat, but also because our part of FL typically gets afternoon rain in the summer (some are torrential). Thanks you for your compliment on the date box, but it actually started out as a mistake. I was sketching directly with the Pitt pen and a wrong line changed the direction of my sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know florida is more hot and humid than here but this has been an exceptional summer here. Exceptionally hot that is. I can't imagine being out in the heat like this. UGH... Heck, I am whining and I wasn't even out there. I do love your sketches. I struggle with the green masses of a garden. You brought this pathway right out of the jungle and all looks nice. I also like the shells. The bits of paper that note the date, weather etc are a neat addition. I am glad you didn't melt. I will bop around and look for more of these sketch crawl groups. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa, and yes, it was hot! I think that we may even have been a bit cooler than some spots in the midwest during that recent heatwave. Needless to say, we ended at noon. We were glad for the shade! Thank you for your comments...I did struggle with those green masses but somehow in the end it worked out!

    The SketchCrawlers have both a Flickr and a Facebook group, and you can also visit their website at www.sketchcrawl.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really lovely sketches... You make it look so easy, and I know it is not easy to sketch on location. I did a few quick sketches on our family vacation, and it was NOT easy--had trouble with the paper, and no end of other things. (Plus I'm not a very experienced artist and my work looks nothing like yours!) Still, I can only get better by trying, and I was happy that I even got the supplies out to give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Kathy! You're right, we get better by trying, despite the wind, the paper, the sweat dripping...it took me a while to get into the flow of sketching outside, and I still get diestracted by people near me, but I'm working on it! Keep at it, and there will be a time when it all comes together.

    Put aside those thoughts of producing something and tune in to the process. Notice how your tools interact with the paper, notice the lines and shapes and colors you see in your subject. Look for those "happy accidents" that can occur. Make abstract shapes and random colors, delight in the process! Tell yourself those freeing words - "I am practicing" and see where it leads you!

    ReplyDelete