Sunday, April 3, 2011

Nursery log


Nursery log, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

On our swamp walk after our art get-together at Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park, we came across this nursery log. Nursery logs (or nurse logs) are fallen trees; the decomposing trunks create a food web in the forest or swamp. When this log fell, it left a gap in the canopy which let additional sunlight into the swamp. As it decayed, the log became home for many types of life: insects, fungus, mosses, ferns, and tree seedlings.

The softening wood provides nutrition and a raised bed away from the competition of existing plants on the woodland floor. Leaf litter collects in the nooks and around the base of the degenerating log, which provides habitat and nesting material for small animals.

Detritivores such as bacteria, fungi, millipedes, slugs, terrestrial worms, and small land crabs feast on the log and the surrounding leaf litter. They break down large matter into smaller pieces and return nutrients back into the soil. In turn they are eaten by birds and small animals, which are preyed on by even larger species.

This particular log was probably a felled cypress. The diameter of the remains is about two feet; the truncated length suggests that it may have been left as a remnant of the cypress logging heyday in the mid 1900’s. What amazes me about this log is the number of seedlings, mosses, and fungi growing on it – I can only imagine the activity going on inside of it!

You can click on the caption below the image to see it on my Flickr photostream.

6 comments:

  1. I've seen logs like this in the woods but didn't know they were called nursery/nurse logs. Perfect! Very intersting post and illustration. (As usual!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy,and thank you! I knew that these logs served a valuable function, but didn't know what they were called until this trip. I found these fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fascinating...I didn't know that was what they were called either. Great info. thanks. Great job to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to see these in the south; around here, they are mainly home to shelf fungus...and take a considerable time to rot. I must take a closer look this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting post, Elizabeth! I've seen such logs with ferns, Hepatica, and other plants growing, but I didn't know it was called a "nursery log!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sherry, Jeanette, and Kelly! So glad I could share our tropical version with you. I love shelf fungus, Jeanette, and have seen some glorious specimens in your area of the country.

    I didn't know what they were called either, until my swamp walk in the Fakahatchee with a wonderful park ranger (thanks Karen!).

    ReplyDelete