Sunday, March 13, 2011

Seagrape leaf



Seagrape leaf, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

In the spring, the combination of cold temperatures and dry conditions cause the occasional leaf on the seagrape tree to turn the most vivid colors. I read somewhere that the circular and sometimes heart-shaped leaves turn red around Valentine’s Day, and that people have turned the brightly colored leaves into natural valentines, scratching or writing verses and sentiments right onto the leaf itself. I don’t know if this is true or not, but it’s a charming thought!

If you’d like to read more about our tropical seagrape tree, please visit my previous post here.  This is another one that describes drawing a sea grape leaf and foreshortening.

Thank you, too, for all of your get-well thoughts and wishes!

You can click on the caption under the image to view it in different sizes on my Flickr photostream.

Other references of interest:

Tropilab, an exotic importer

The Smithsonian Marine Station at Fort Pierce

7 comments:

  1. I think sea grapes are really cool plants. I didn't know the leaves turned colors like that, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, your colors on the leaf are sooooo fresh! Stunning! I agree, charming to be able to to write on the leaf :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When he was in school, long ago, my son's girlfriend wrote to him (with ink) on a sea grape leaf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just returned from southwest Florida (Captiva Isalnd), and I saw many of these leaves. i wondered what it was...now I know! I found a pair of Palm Warblers darting in and out of a bush several times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...my husband and I went down to Dayton last February, and I collected some of these leaves. I really loved the colors of the leaves and the shapes. I had know idea of the name...but now I do. Thank you again for the info...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanette - how cool! Now I'll have to try writing on them...and maybe painting?

    Wonderful Kelly, sea grapes are great beach-lovng trees! Ours is used by a mockgbird and the occaisonal blue jay.

    Sherry, I'll bet your trip to Daytona in February was nice - our weather was so perfect about then. Not like now, today cool-ish, this weekend forecast to be in the 90's (Yikes, two months early for this heat!) Glad you now know more about those interesting leaves!

    ReplyDelete