Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dahoon holly



Dahoon holly, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

Dahoon holly is a small, columnar tree often used in landscaping here in southwest Florida. Now that the berries are turning color, I’ve been noticing it in the wild as well, especially along roads that border wooded areas of pine and maple. Not only do the vibrant red berries catch my eye, but the pale gray trunks distinguish it from the noxious and invasive Brazilian pepper shrubs with similar-looking fruit.

I have always wondered what the word “dahoon” meant. Was it someone’s name? A place?   Daniel F. Austin in Florida Ethnobotany explains that it may derive from a French corruption of the Catawba word yaupon.  Before I confuse the issue further, There is a yaupon holly (Ilex vomitoria) that was thought to be used by native Americans in a ceremonial black drink. And yes, it’s said to induce vomiting.

Because the yaupon holly is similar to the Dahoon holly, Linnaeus grouped them together in the mid 1700's, which caused some classification muddiness. It’s thought that the French began referring to the slightly different holly as houx d’Ahon; Ahon being an altered form of yaupon (houx means holly in French). D’Ahon became Dahoon, and hundreds of years later we still call it dahoon holly.

Dahoon holly provides food for birds and small mammals, and bushy cover for smaller bird species. The trees are dioecious, which means that a tree is either male or female, with the female producing fruit. The berries ripen gradually, revealing shades of light yellow-green to amber to bright red, a feast for the eyes as well!

You can click on the caption above to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

12 comments:

  1. The world of nomenclature is never easy! I find it especially daunting when I try to read older publications - like Gertrude Jekyl's work - becauset ht names just keep changing! Even during the time I've been gardening - since 1987 -some plants in my own garden have changed names.
    Lovely plant! Wonderful illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha! - I have two volumes by Charles Sprague Sargent that have many old names in them. I love it when the new guides list the synonyms. With the advent of genetic mapping, some things have changed quickly!

    Thank you, Jeanette! You are too kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TImely post as I was just noticing the holly on my outing yesterday and was wondering if it were holly or rather the pepper shrubs. (I was thinking it was too early for them!)

    Gorgeous work! I especially like how you've left some of the branch drawn but without color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laure, and thanks! I'm trying out some new things. :)

    I haven't noticed any of the B. peppers in fruit yet, but maybe the berries are still green. I always think of them as turning color right before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting (and lovely) as usual, Elizabeth. I especially like the little box in the corner with the weather info. The pumpkin is adorable and I notice it was 88 degrees! That's fall in Florida for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy - are you ready for the weekend cooldown? I'm pretty excited to finally feel fall in the air down here!

    Thanks for your kind thoughts! When I look back through my art journals, those little info boxes really jog my memory. I recommend them to anyone keeping a visual journal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great page and perfect timing! I've been wondering what type of holly tree is outside our door. This is it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Pam - glad I selected this one to put in my nature journal! I really enjoyed painting the different-colored berries, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Above all, a well executed post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a truly good piece of writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remarkably well written blog post.

    ReplyDelete