Saturday, February 25, 2012

Bracken fern

(Click on the image to view larger)

I have a fondness for ferns; they grow in secret spaces, in unexpected places.  This is a partial piece of a bracken fern that I sketched with my Pitt pen (S size) in a sketchbook I received for Christmas.  I don’t know what kind of paper it is – but it’s silky smooth and takes pen marks well.  I added some light watercolor washes to show the varied browns of the dried frond. 

Ferns are fascinating in themselves, especially their reproductive cycle.  They are also a visual treat: lacy, intricate, unfurling in a spiral pattern.  Although not a true fractal because they are finite, the repetitive pattern of ferns is a good example of natural fractal patterns.  

Fractals are patterns where the parts are the same or similar to the whole.  For instance, in my drawing you can see that the pattern of the tip repeats in the branching leaflets.  The whole frond resembles the leaflets, as you can see in this photo from the University of Florida. Needless to say, this makes drawing a fern a bit mind-bending. 

Bracken ferns like to grow in open spaces; I sometimes see them on roadside and woodland edges.  Bracken fern is common, occurring throughout the world.  It has been used by humans for multiple purposes, including food.  The fiddleheads (unfurled baby fronds) are eaten regularly in Asian cultures. 

Although bracken fern contains a carcinogen that often causes cancers in livestock, cooking and/or soaking the fiddleheads in water reduces the risk to humans.  A caveat:  the carcinogen, ptalquiloside, varies with fern populations.  Always research thoroughly and know exactly what you are eating and how to safely prepare it; older ferns should be avoided entirely. 

Other past human uses for bracken fern include: fibers for basket weaving, starch from the rhizomes for flour, medicinal teas and decoctions for ailments such as chest complaints, headaches, and burns.  It was also used for thatch and kindling, livestock bedding, and for dyeing cloth and fibers. Despite a tendency to become invasive, bracken fern is not only a beautiful plant, but a useful one as well.
 




10 comments:

  1. Every time I read one of your posts, I wish we lived closer to each other....I would love to spend more time with you and your observations and thoughts! I love your closely observe drawings and the research you put into these posts. I learn from each and every one of them...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanette - what a lovely thing to say! I think we share the same love of science and structures and art. I love the way your former profession of architect informs your work as well. It's the act of drawing and reflecting on my subject that starts me down the research paths...there is so much to learn. I'd love to get together with you as well some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, love to visit the Elizabeth Smith Educational Center :) Such a cornucopia of information... You make learning fun, intriguing and oh so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting. I didn't realize ferns were so useful. They are more than just a pretty face!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Pam! I've learned so much from your blog as well -- especially full moons; your night sky paintings are wonderful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kathy! I was surprised at all of the uses ferns have as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Elizabeth. Fascinating post, this one. I love ferns too, including their fractal-like structure, but didn't realize they provided fiber. I presume the stalks are the source, similar to the way flax provides fiber to make linen cloth. Any idea how the ferns are prepared? You're such an instigator...now I'm ready to do some research, too!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...this is really interesting. I had no idea the plant could cause cancer! Your painting of it is beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Sue! On the web I came across an artists who used the fern stems in a basket, but most of the other things I've read comment that the rhizomes are covered in strong fibers. Fern preparation for eating is to soak in water and steam, although I've read that some people eat them raw -- not something I'd recommend! I'm not sure how the fibers would be prepared. I'm interested in natural fibers, too, but haven't had time to do any experimenting. if you do, let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kelly - thank you! I know...such a pretty plant but potentially dangerous. I read somewhere that really large stands have been eradicated in the past because of their proximity to drinking water sources.

    ReplyDelete