Saturday, September 24, 2011

Things from an estuary

Things from a Florida estuary: driftwood, nicker bean pod, cat's claw seedpods,
 oyster shells, buttonwood leaves and "buttons," and a rattle-box seedpod. 

Today was National Estuary Day!  I find estuary systems fascinating; they are the sheltered nutrient-rich birthplace and nursery environment for many species of life.  Estuary ecosystems occur when fresh and salt water meet and mingle, the best of both worlds.

I painted this last year after a visit to Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve just south of Naples, and thought it would be appropriate to share today.  These were just some of the small treasures I observed as I explored the trails through the mangroves around the bay.  

 To read more about National Estuary Day and the importance of our estuaries, please visit NOAA's website on estuaries.

9 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, this page is absolutely stunning. I feel like I'm on the sand, can feel the sun and catch the wift of pluff mud. Your details and the shadows make this page sing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so beautiful! What did you do with these treasures afterwards?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting painting. These are things I would never see here in SW INdiana.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam - thanks, girl! The trails there are sandy and that's what I wanted to capture as well, as the sensory feelings you just described!

    Thank you Gypsy! Now that I have a few treasures stored over my lifetime, I like my new discoveries to stay in their place in the world.

    Thanks, Sarah!

    Hi Lisa, I wish I could share more of this unique place with you. Southwest Florida is fascinating to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just added this webpage to my google reader, great stuff. Cannot get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you anonymous!

    Thanks AtelierBrigitte!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! Your painting is beautiful and inspiring. A grouping of things you would find there really pulls the varied nature of an estuary together!

    ReplyDelete