Monday, July 4, 2011

Lubber grasshoppers

Southeastern  lubber grasshoppers, click to view larger.

This year these grasshoppers seem to be popping up everywhere. Lubbers are beautifully patterned and colored tropical grasshoppers that enjoy moist areas such as marshes, swamps, ditches, and damp pine flatwoods. They live throughout Florida and range throughout the southeast United States. Stocky and sturdy, lubbers have rudimentary wings that don’t support their bodies, so they hop or walk instead of flying.

This spring I witnessed hundreds of young grasshoppers walking across a gravel road in the Fakahatchee; the small nymphs (about ¾ to 1inch long) were jet black with a yellow lateral stripe. As adults, they sport variable patterns and colors of yellow, red, and black. The bright colors can be considered nature’s warning sign; lubbers have toxins in their blood to discourage predators, and often spit digestive contents laden with the same toxins at attackers.

I read that adult lubbers in northern Florida are mostly black with yellow markings, but in southern Florida they’re mostly yellow with black and red markings. Interesting! I captured these with my camera along the boardwalk at Freedom Park so I could sketch the details without having my subject move around a lot. Even so, the closer I got, the more the wary grasshoppers moved away from me.


As I sketched these fascinating insects, I marveled at the delicate shadings of golden yellow, rose, and black on the wings and body, and how they contrasted with the armor-like exoskeleton. I drew these in my Pentalic Nature Sketch sketchbook (6 x 12 inch size) with a black Pitt Artist Pen in the XS size, and painted them with Daniel Smith watercolors.

If you’d like to read more about our lubber grasshoppers, please visit the links below.

From the University of Florida Entomology Department

And this site has everything you’ve always wanted to know about lubber grasshoppers!

If you’d like to look at more nature sketches from southwestern Florida, please visit my Flickr photostream.

12 comments:

  1. What a great drawing of lubbers. We have the babies all over the place right now--SE Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like I could pick these guys right off the page. What beautiful colors. I haven't seen many grasshoppers here yet. I have only heard one cicada and seen one cicada. The cicada nearly made me faint when I was pulling an unwanted weed from under a shrub. It flew away with such gusto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Linda and Lisa! They ARE beautifully colored and quite unreal looking!

    We had a lot of babies in March-April. I guess it's a good year for lubbers. I wonder if population numbers expand and decline in cycles? Or maybe I didn't notice them as much in previous years.

    Yikes, Lisa -- I've had surprises like that while weeding. You both probably scared each other! Cicadas are interesting-looking insects - I'd like to draw one but I haven't seen any around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had tons of the babies in the spring, and though they are pretty to look at, I'm pretty sure they ate my pomegranate blooms, and a number of other plants. I haven't seen many adults, strangely enough. Maybe they migrated down to you???

    Your paintings are beautiful as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Nature's creatures go, few are more beautiful than these grasshoppers. Their markings are quite fabulous.

    Still, I really wish they'd leave my plants alone. They have a whole field to munch in right next door! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh they are beautifully marked, but have big appetites for the plants. I;ve seen them go through green leaves just destroying everything. I live in Central Florida now, but have live in many parts of the state.. As pretty as they are that;s how destructive they can be... Not one of my favorite bugs... lol !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy - I've been seeing quite a few adults here,maybe they did come to visit! Thank you for your kind words.

    Laure - these do have fabulous markings - but can be oh so destructve. I read that they like plants in the lily family, which contribute to the toxins that make them distasteful to predators...but I don't think they discriminate much in large numbers.

    Hello Barbra, I love my plants, too, and as I was drawing I was glad that I didn't find these in MY yard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful grasshopper drawings! Plus informative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Elva! I learned a lot more about them after a bit of research. I feel like I know them better after sketching thme, too. Love how that works!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I just found your lovely nature/art journal and blog via a link on an article from FNPS. Very happy to have found your lovely work and informative entries! we have these lubbers where i volunteer on the SE side of florida, loxahatchee nat'l wildlife refuge. i've watched them growing since feb/march when they hatched. in the last couple weeks i've noted mating pairs. are they mating now in your area as well? also, butterfly orchids were recently blooming as well, and as you observed, quite delicate and lovely. i've learned alot already from your notes and enjoy your beautiful art very much. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful journal! i'll be checking in often!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Becky -- thank you for those lovely words! I haven't seen any of the lubbers mating yet, but if you're seeing them where you are, then they probably are here as well. I saw one lone lubber grasshopper this morning, as a matter of fact!

    I've never visited the Loxahatchee national Wildlife Refuge (yet), so I visited the Wikipedia and the GOV site. It looks like a wonderful place, nestled on top of the Everglades...how lucky you are to volunteer there!

    ReplyDelete