Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Painting water in landscapes

Marl pond waters reflecting sunny blue skies (painted from my photo reference).

On our sketching trip to Fakahatchee Strand Preserve State Park recently, my friend Karen asked me how she could represent water realistically. Like so many of us, she discovered that water is challenging to draw or paint. Along with the challenges of textures, reflections, and transparency, there is also movement – either from the surface being broken by wind, fish, or birds or by the currents below the surface.

There are a number of good books and online resources that address ways to represent water. I am by no means an expert, but I’d like to share some of the techniques I’ve found that work for me, especially when sketching in the field and trying to get a quick capture.

Water changes colors: blue where it reflects the sky,
 brown where we can see the mud flats below the shallow water.
White sparkles added with a craft knife (painted in the field).
First, I observe the water and what’s happening with wind and reflections, because sometimes it’s hard to separate out the different shapes and colors present.

My motto is to simplify; I look for the broadest colors and shapes, and for a direction of flow.  If I’m painting in watercolor, I start with the most gestural of lines in the lightest color, leaving some white areas. There are almost always white (or very light) bits of sparkling color where the sun’s rays bounce off of the surface. If you leave too much white at the beginnning you can always add a glaze of color over it.


I like to add flowing lines that indicate movement. 
I take the subtle ripples and flow that I see and
exaggerate and simplify them (painted in the field).

Next, I look for the darker colors, which may be reflections or shadows. Many times a body of water is darker near the foreground, becoming lighter as it nears the horizon. There are often many colors in water: it may contain minerals or tannin that color and cloud the water itself, there may be submerged rocks or logs that can be seen through the water, and the surface of the water often reflects the surrounding countryside. Picking up even just a few of these colors adds dimension and depth.

Ripples are circular in shape, spreading outward in broader and broader rings from the point of disturbance.  The angle these ripples are viewed from will determine how elliptical they will be.  Sometimes it's good to practice sketching and painting ellipses or ovals so we can feel more confident when we start depicting water.

You also might find it easier to practice illustrating water from a photo reference - at least nothing is moving! I hope seeing one way that one artist approaches a tricky subject like water is helpful. 
Notice reflections: they are like a mirror image
 of the object they reflect, broken by
horizontal layers of water
(painted in the field).

 


The water in this canal has dissolved
limestone in it, making it less reflective
and a bit murkier.  I kept the reflections of the
limestone rocks in the water simple -
they are mere suggestions (painted in the field).


10 comments:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little little bit of it I've you bookmarked to check out new stuff you put up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, your water pictures are both beautiful and evocative! I loved reading your descriptions of how to portray water - fascinating even to a non-artist. The understanding deepened my appreciation. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...a really helpful post, Elizabeth! (and I love those cute raccoons!! You captured the heart of their movements!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you my friends! I really enjoy hearing about and seeing others' process too - I always learn something.

    CleanGreenNativs, I appreciate your kind words. The most important thing about being an artist is to sharpen our observational skills - and this overflows into just about everything: bird watching, gardening, enjoying a sunset, liing life!

    Kelly, thanks! I loved watching the raccoons that day, luckily they stayed still for short periods of time while they were digging in the mud - otherwise I would have drawn more of a blur!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very helpful, Elizabeth!! Love the first painting with the water lilies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting post, and I liked seeing all the different varieties of water in your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way you showed the sunlight on the leavs is simply breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Cindy! Painting from a photo reference really helps get me the light and water right.

    Kathy - wait until you see the different kinds of moving water! That is, if I ever get around to it!

    Thank you Jeanette, the light was so clear and luminous that day, and I'm glad that I captured just a bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful water images, Elizabeth! Thanks for sharing your approach. Your lily pads are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam, and thank you! It's one of my favorite journal pages, and even though it's painted from a photo, I vividly remember that day. I think that's one of the best things about keeping a visual journal: my memories and connections are deepened and made more meaningful!

    ReplyDelete