Saturday, January 29, 2011

Tillandsia ~ a universe unseen


This is a quick freehand watercolor study of ball moss, Tillandsia recurvata. It’s growing on an oak branch that broke off in a recent windy thunderstorm. Not a moss at all, this air plant is a member of the bromeliad family. Air plants are epiphytes, growing on other plants or trees and obtaining their food from the water and debris in the air and around them. Contrary to some popular beliefs, they’re not parasites and do not harm the hosts.

The dense clusters of linear grayish-green leaves capture water from rain and dew, and create a habitat for all types of tiny living things. Caught between its wiry strands you can see live oak leaves that will decay and provide nutrients. I’ve often wondered at the small organisms that must make their homes around and on these types of plants, if we could only experience them from a microscopic point of view.

The haiku written by Issa connects me to the wonder I feel about a universe of life in a small space. If we were a tiny ant crawling along that branch and encountered this unexpected forest of life, what we experience? How far and deep would we travel; what would other worlds would we discover?

It is just a ball moss on a broken branch,
and yet…

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Elizabeth, and quite thought provoking. I don't know if you've seen any of the photographs taken of a drop of dew on a petal or leaf the reflects the world around it in astonishing detail...that's what your post reminds me of...how often we overlook those other "universes" or dismiss them without thought. As you say just a broken branch with a ball moss....

    Love the sketch too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a little tillandsia last time I was in Florida...and this fall, it burst into bloom - brilliant red tips that lasted for about 3 months! A complete surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laure, and thank you. Yes, I have seen those types of images, and they are always so intriguing. Are you familiar with M.C. Escher and some of his drawings/etchings? one of my favorites related to nature is Three Worlds. Thanks for gor your thoughts, those are exactly the ideas I was attempting to express!

    How thrilling, Jeanette! These nondescript grayish-green plants will sometimes have beautiful and vibrant small flowers and bracts - red, purple, yellow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..and yet... Lovely post and watercolor. I love the addition of the haiku. So many universes around us if we have the eyes and imagination to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kathy, I appreciate your comment! Your posts are especially tuned to the "road less traveled..."

    ReplyDelete
  6. We appreciate the info. Done well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommend by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post and how you brought the ant into it...so true! Beautiful painting as always too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all! And thank you Kelly for your connection to the ant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth and Laure; your comments reminded me of this photo on my 'nature's bounty' tab/my blog, taken last winter. Just one big drop of rain left there and by chance when I viewed the image on my computer...some beautiful reflections hiding in there of other heartsease flowers. Had I realized when pointing my camera there I'd have zoomed in especially on that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ooops, I meant to leave a link to the heartsease for you in my previous comment!
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_120HSNalehQ/TMwCVp2Lq3I/AAAAAAAAAgM/P75MkAG-N04/s1600/johnny-jump-up-close-blog.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderfully illustrated and informative post, Elizabeth! I'd so love to see all of your lovely work offered in a book. :)

    ReplyDelete