Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hyssop Spurge


Hyssop Spurge, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

A flowering weed;
Hearing its name,
I looked anew at it.
~ Teiji


I have to say that I consider this plant to be a weedy nuisance. I see it everywhere it shouldn’t be: mostly in my flowerpots and growing in the patio and driveway cracks. It flowers, it seeds, I weed it, it sprouts again.

Just to be contradictory, I also like weeds. And I happen to like the sound of this one: SPURGE. If I have the identification correct, I can further enjoy rolling the words “Hyssop spurge” around my brain.

The Haiku above reflects my feelings after identifying and naming a plant – I suddenly look at it differently. Perhaps it’s a personal connection, or maybe I like things to have a place in the world, even if it’s in a human-created concept. I also feel a shared sense of wonder with plant explorers from the past who passionately learned all they could about each new discovery.

Hyssop spurge is indeed considered a weed by most everyone, especially on the Internet, which abounds with elimination techniques. The one positive source I found was in the Botanical Dermatology Database, which describes the milky sap as used to treat warts, calluses and ringworm.

When broken, the stem exudes a prodigious amount of opaque white sap, which is typical of Euphorbias, and probably just as bitter and caustic as other family members such as Poinsettia and Devil’s backbone .

Now that I’ve researched this spurge, I see this species and its relatives just about everywhere. Identification is NOT my strong point; there are many different kinds of weedy spurges and I feel lucky to have found a name for this one.

Next time you are in the garden or taking a walk, take a second look at the flowering weed under your hand or heel – you may happen to find yourself looking at it with new eyes!

You can click on the largest image to view it on my Flickr photostream.

10 comments:

  1. When you go to war you should "know your enemy". ;) This is a very good study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa! I feel like I know this one pretty well by now...it's almost a friend. Now what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely drawings - I am so with you on your feeling about weeds. I often let a new one grow in the garden just to see whether it's going to do something pretty, how hard it is to control. Of course, I often ay the price!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Me, too Jeanette! Once something goes to seed, it's almost too late! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool page, Elizabeth! I'm also enjoying learning about different wild plants. Your drawings are awesome!! I found a beautiful wild plant with red berries, only to discover it's a noxious weed in Kansas...Ha Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much, Cindy! That's funny about your noxious plant - but you know, it's only noxious to us, some insect or animal out there probably loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also enjoy learning the names of things that I see every day--it makes me feel connected to my surroundings. Too often, I feel that I walk with blind eyes through the natural world. I enjoy your posts and drawings a lot because many of the plants and birds you describe live in my area, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy - and thank you! There are so many awesome things in the world, if we can see just a few things along our path, we are that much richer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good! Very good!
    http://www.geraldorobertodasilva.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. So.... it got mixed up in a large pot of roses. Should I get rid of it? Will it kill the rose?

    ReplyDelete