Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Quick studies ~ drawing with a brush


When time is short, we can still take a few minutes to practice! Part of my ongoing practice is to find techniques that work well in Pentalic’s “Nature Sketch” sketchbook.

The paper isn’t as sturdy as the watercolor papers I’m used to using. Water is a bit of a problem, because I like to use multiple layers and sometimes lift color from the paper surface. This paper is really made for one or two washes, and no lifting. Anything beyond that and the paper starts to disintegrate. So - I’m attempting to streamline my approach.

On this page, I decided to draw directly onto the paper with my brush (a #3 round) and watercolor washes. I thought it best to limit the washes and any reworking, so I kept the colors simple (Sap Green, Burnt Umber, and Shadow Violet) and tried to use minimal colors and brush marks.

Starting with a simple suject,  I tried to capture the essence of it with just a few strokes. The more I painted, the more confident I became. By the time I finished with the various leaves, I felt that I could attempt a more complicated branch by painting free-hand (bottom right)!

It’s all in the name of practice, anyway, and what we learn  ~ happy painting!

You can click on the image above to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

4 comments:

  1. You can toss those training wheels away! You've mastered this without the help of pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeanette! And thank you! After so many years of practice I should be able to wing it, I hope. It's still scary, though, with no pencil...;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderfully fresh! Quite a freeing moment isn't it! Like sketching with a pen only better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely practice page. As far as it being scary without a pencil--remember, it's only paper! I can't believe I'm sometimes afraid of paper... :)

    ReplyDelete