Thursday, September 23, 2010

First day of fall (sycamore leaf)


Sycamores are among the last trees to go into leaf; in the fall, they are the first to shed. They make sweet food in green broadleaves for a while – leaves wide as plates – and then go wild and wave their long white arms. ~ Annie Dillard

Today is recognized as the second annual crossing of the equator by the sun, known in the northern hemisphere as the autumnal equinox. The word equinox derives from the Latin, meaning “equal night.” Traditionally, the length of days and nights become the same on this day. Of course, this really depends on where you live and how exactly you wish to measure!

If you are in the northern hemisphere and out and about tonight, look for the moon; this year we’re supposed to experience what is called a Super Harvest Moon. I read that there will be a huge orange moon rising as the sun is setting.

To celebrate these events and our first day of fall, I thought I’d create another version of a sycamore leaf. This one is in my Pentalic Nature Sketch 6 x 12 inch book.

First, I brushed the paper with gesso, letting it dry overnight. Next morning I added the ink sketch and some watercolor washes. Then I layered watercolor pencil strokes here and there with a clear water wash, and added a subtle leaf print or two. The textures seemed to be appropriate to the season and to reflect the dry crinkly texture of the leaf.


The quote above is from Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard, and is part of a longer exploration of life and nature including trees, time, and sycamores.

Happy equinox!


You can click on the image caption above to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

9 comments:

  1. I love this--the background is gorgeous, as is the softly colored leaf. Happy Equinox to you--only another month or so of summer (I hope).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this composition. It looks like a lovely collection of leaves. If you are looking at the moon tonight you can also see Jupiter and Uranus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Elizabeth! Love the textures and colors. Perfect for today's celebration!

    Rob and I just came in from moon painting :) I painted 2 nights in a row. I off to the shower to get the bug spray off!! It was nice thinking of my blogging buddies while painting the moon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely treatment! These are such amazing trees and you picked the perfect quote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy - thank you! I hope fall makes an early appearance here, too!

    Thanks, Lisa, I find sycamore leaves fascinating to draw! Thanks for letting us know about seeing those planets as well.

    I thought of you, Pam, even though I wasn't painting the moon! The other night I was driving on an east-west road, and the moon was filling the windshield while a blazing golden sun was reflected in my rearview mirror. Amazing.

    Thanks, Jeanette! Reading Annie Dillard definitely puts me in a right-brain mode, she has a marvelous way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your beautiful sycamore leaf. I'm always thankful they leaf out late in spring because the Great Blue Herons have a heronry in huge sycamore trees near my house. We get to watch them a little longer into the season because of the sluggish sycamores! I love your sycamore leaves in the previous post too. They are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kelly - thanks so much for your kind words! How wonderful to live so close to Great Blue Herons like that...it must be fascinating to watch them live their lives, they are such magnificent birds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sketch, Elizabeth! You have such a delicate touch. I love the background, too...love the colors of the leaf...wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy - thank you! I wa thrilled with the way the background turned out - next time I'll try to leave more brush marks because I like the contrast of the paper and the gesso. There is something wonderful about those fall colors, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete