Sunday, August 8, 2010

Firebush


Firebush, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

The heat, humidity, and mosquitoes are keeping me inside, so I brought in a small branch of Firebush to paint. It's just as well, as it's been quite overcast today.

This plant is one of my all-time favorites! It looks great in the middle of summer, and attracts all sort of butterflies, as well as our ruby-throated hummingbird. It does get a bit bedraggled in the winter, but the birds seem to relish the berries after a couple of cold spells.


I'm trying out my early birthday present - a new Pentalic Nature Sketch sketchbook in the 6 x 12 inch size. The format is unusual, but I read a good review about it, so I'm giving it a try.


The paper scans a bit yellow (as does the Arches hot-press watercolor paper), but it seems to take watercolor fairly well. I wouldn't recomend it for finished paintings; it won't withstand repeated washes and/or color lifting. Otherwise the paint goes down nicely, and the Micron pens work well on the surface. 

I'll try out regular pencil and watercolor pencil soon.  All in all, I think it will be a great nature journal!

You can click on the images above to view them larger on my Flickr photostream.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely new page, Elizabeth! The format lends itself well to your nature sketching. I recently purchased some Moleskine watercolour journals and a couple seem to have a slender to long format, particularly when opened out for a double page spread....would be great for landscape views.

    I haven't heard of the Pentalic brand before but then it's not easy finding good quality sketchbooks here in Australia as it is. I had to order my Moleskines online. I do have some watercolour paper all prepared to bind into a book but I just need to get over my fear of wrecking it first. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I look forward to hearing how you get along with the new sketchbook as my search has been fairly fruitless so far as a keeper goes!

    Lovely sketch and the firebush is a cool plant to have around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Serena, and thank you! I think you’re right about the long format – I had the same thought about a landscape view. I’ve used the Moleskine watercolor sketchbook before and liked it, but for some reason never tried the double page spreads. I’ve seen some great paintings done that way though.

    I ordered this one online; it seemed more efficient than driving around. It seems like our area art stores are pretty well stocked but don’t carry everything! Even so, not all online art stores carry this one – I found it at Dick Blick.

    The best sketchbooks are the ones I make myself! My first handmade sketchbook was not very pretty, but it actually functioned better than I would have thought. I’m still not very good at them, but each one gets better. Lately I’ve been getting them spiral bound, which works great for field sketching.

    I hadn’t heard of Pentalic before either until recently. I’ll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Laure, I will keep you posted! Not great for finished watercolor work, but good as a sketchbook (so far). The price is reasonable and less than a watercolor sketchbook. I’m hoping for an all-purpose sketchbook that takes water media well. I think the Aquabee is a bit more durable and scrub-able.

    I like the sketchbooks I make the best, maybe because I can mix things up and anticipate what I’ll be doing. A little hot-press, a little cold-press, some toned paper, some bristol board – I like to be surprised, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the painting--and do keep us posted on the sketchbook. I'm in Laure's boat (though quite a bit less experienced than she is.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, Elizabeth! Love the incorporation of the full tree on top of the date box.

    I like the thickness of paper in the naturesketch pad but do like the white of the aquabee better. I'm with you about being most pleased with hand-made journals. Have you tried Canson Edition paper yet? It's almost a cross between hot and cold press. Takes a lot of water. Scrubbing is ify (sp?) But, then you can always cover an ooobooo up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pam, and thank you!

    I like the Aquabee, too, for the color and its durability. I haven't tried the Canson Edition yet, sounds like it would be great! I'll save that one for Christmas, along with some other goodies!

    ReplyDelete