Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bald Cypress trunk


Bald Cypress trunk, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.
Time has been short, so I've had to resort to my photo references again. This is drawn from a photo taken at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary.

The distichous definition is from "Manual of the Trees of North America" by Charles Sprague Sargent, published by Dover Books (orginally published in 1905). I find his descriptions often have information I can't find anywhere else!

Our granddaughter Angela calls this the "bell-bottom" tree because of the way the trunk flares at the base!

You can click on the image to view it larger on my Flickr photostream, thank you for visiting.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Elizabeth. On a walk yesterday I saw a tree with beautiful and interesting-to-draw bark, and wondered if taking a picture and drawing it later would work. Now I see that it can work beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathy! I try to keep a few recent reference photos handy for stormy days or for those days when I only have a few minutes here or there. The great thing about a small sketchbook is that I can work in a relatively small space - at home, in the car, just about anywhere!

    ReplyDelete