Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Royal Palm and new mini-palette


Royal palm, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

Florida is home to many types of palm trees, but none quite so impressive as the Royal palm. The trunk seems solid as a concrete pole, and the long, majestic fronds have a thick and sturdy midrib surrounded by fluttering green blades. It was a very breezy day, so it was a challenge to squint upwards into the sunny sky and try to draw the constantly changing crown.

I drew the palm on site and added the watercolor washes afterwards, trying out a new mini-palette of high value primary colors. I was inspired to create a smaller watercolor set by  Laure Ferlita's post on stealth sketch kits on her blog, Painted Thoughts. Thank you, Laure,  for a creative way to keep the art supplies minimal!

I used an eye shadow container (cleaned thoroughly and degreased  with rubbing alcohol), and one thing I especially like is the top lid with the clear plastic bubbles – they make great mixing spots. I also like the compact size: 1 ½ by 4 inches; I can take it just about anywhere.  I’m still waiting to see just how watertight it is…until then it’s going to stay in a zippered plastic bag.  It worked quite well with my Niji waterbrushes, the portable brush that carries water right in the handle.



You can see the swatch of Daniel Smith colors I chose for the primary set in the lower left corner of the top photo:
Red = Quinacridone Pink
Yellow = Quinacridone Gold
Blue = Prussian Blue

I read about this combination of colors somewhere and it sounded intriguing. I’ve used a similar triad in the past: Hansa Yellow, Quinacridone Pink, and Manganese Blue, but I had trouble making deep darks. This new set of primaries make some great dark colors!

You can click on the top  image above to view larger on my Flickr photostream.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful palm tree, and I loved seeing your new "stealth" paint kit. I have a tiny one, too. I have only used it in Laure's classes so far, but hope to get out "in the field" soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful sketch, Elizabeth! I love the perspective of looking up at the underneath of the palm ~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful sketch and watercolor, Elizabeth! Neat idea for a small paint kit! I have never tried painting and sketching outside. I think I would be too slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! Sketching and painting outdoors can be a bit challenging; that's why I work in a small size! Sometimes I draw directly with my ink pens and add watercolor later...great for really windy or cold days or when the bugs are biting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally missed this post, Elizabeth!

    Glad to see the idea helped and I LOVE the sketch!! I would stay with the plastic bag as I just had an unhappy experience with mine leaking.
    :•( No major harm, just a mess to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the palm and the subtle color changes within the fronds!

    Glad the travel palette idea worked for you as well. Stay with the plastic bag. Just had a mess with mine. Nothing ruined, just messy>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elizabeth, love the ideas you have for sketching.. thanks a bunch ,,

    ReplyDelete