Monday, December 14, 2009

Beautyberry




Another ink and watercolor pencil sketch – this time a detail of beautyberry in fruit. Although this shrub is sometimes a bit nondescript throughout the year, the bright purple-to-magenta berries can be quite breathtaking. I don’t think this sketch quite does the plant justice, so I’m including a photo showing a few more berries.

The leaves are a nice oval (almost heart-shaped), with crenate (scalloped) to serrate leaf margins. Small white to pink flowers attract pollinators such as bees and butterflies. This native shrub can get quite leggy, and sometimes has an open, sprawling growth – I often see it growing wild along edges of clearings. My reference plant came from landscape plantings at Freedom Park along the path on the higher ground around the ponds.

You can click on the drawing at the top to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Elizabeth, for providing me with the name of this plant! I've wondered for years! I have a few photos of it, but have never drawn it because I had no idea what it was called!

    Now, if I can find the time and the photos, I may have to give it a whirl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see these plants a lot near our house, and I've often thought they'd be good subjects to draw or paint--and you've proved me right. Very nice! I love the other sketches in your Flikr photostream, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely sketch, Elizabeth! I love the page layout and the notes, especially the balloon with the word 'indeed'. It made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful rendition. Love the softness of the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone!

    Laure, I’m so glad I could help put a name to this plant for you. I’d love to see your rendition, you always seem to capture so much in your watercolors. Without you, I never would have known the beauty of Daniel Smith’s Shadow Violet!

    Kathy, thank you for enjoying my work. I love your writing, even though right now I haven’t had much time to leave comments.

    Debbie – I’m not sure what possessed me to add the balloon, but after reading about the name origins, it just seemed natural! It’s truly a beautiful berry, and almost needs to be seen in person to be believed. By the way, your mushroom drawings are awesome.

    Hi Pam! I’ve been using watercolor pencils a lot lately, and I like the softness of the pencil lead and the resultant washes combined with the crisp ink lines. It seems perfect for a journal entry. I just wish my writing equaled you talents!

    ReplyDelete