Monday, December 14, 2009

Beautyberry




Another ink and watercolor pencil sketch – this time a detail of beautyberry in fruit. Although this shrub is sometimes a bit nondescript throughout the year, the bright purple-to-magenta berries can be quite breathtaking. I don’t think this sketch quite does the plant justice, so I’m including a photo showing a few more berries.

The leaves are a nice oval (almost heart-shaped), with crenate (scalloped) to serrate leaf margins. Small white to pink flowers attract pollinators such as bees and butterflies. This native shrub can get quite leggy, and sometimes has an open, sprawling growth – I often see it growing wild along edges of clearings. My reference plant came from landscape plantings at Freedom Park along the path on the higher ground around the ponds.

You can click on the drawing at the top to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.