Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Magnolia seeds



The magnolia trees are dropping their burrs here in Southwest Florida. I always thought they were called cones, but I read recently that some people call them called burrs.  The name burr sounds more appropriate somehow, even though this one is nearly 4 inches long (not including the stem).  if you'd like to know more about our magnolias, Floridata has a nice page on them.

I haven’t had much time to draw lately, and I miss it. Circumstances in my life have changed for the time being, and the hours in the day are just not long enough. I’m in the process of figuring out how to add more creative and daily sketch time, but so far it’s fallen to the bottom of the list.





It’s an evolving process, and right now my compromise is to work on small things in small chunks of time. Working in a small journal (this one is 5 by 8 inches) seems to be a perfect solution for now.

I won’t be able to read and comment on blogs and images as much in the past, my friends, but please know that when possible I’ll be enjoying them!

3 comments:

  1. This is sooooo lovely! I find small journals the ticket when time is tight. It keeps your 'hand' from slipping away, not to mention 15 minutes of concentration on an artist's soul food is priceless :) Keep on keeping on, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ABSOLUTELY STUNNING, ELIZABETH!! THOSE SEEDS POP OFF THE PAGE, AND THE CURL ON THE BURRS ARE PEFECT! THE ENTIRE WORK - OUTSTANDING!! WOWOWZA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Pam and Lin for your wonderful comments! This one was a real challenge, but not too daunting in the small size.

    ReplyDelete