Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mistflower


Mistflower, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

Mistflower
Conoclinium coelestinum
Aster family

It seems to me that autumn has a penchant for lavender and purple flowers. These Mistflowers have a peculiar lavender color that sometimes looks pinkish, but other times more blue. These were volunteers in a recent landscaping job, popping up from under the low shrubs lining the sidewalk/bike path. The blooms seem to be ending as most of the flowers have gone to seed; a mere breath of wind sends the fluff-tailed seeds aloft.


Pale violet colors are tricky to paint, so I did some test color charts beforehand to get a feeling for the best combinations. Glad I did! It may be hard to tell on your screen, but the Opera Rose and Manganese Blue yielded clear and bright mixes that were most like the bloom color. I’ll save these for reference later!

Clicking on the top image will allow you to see it larger on my Flickr photostream.

Wikipedia fans can read a bit more by clicking  here.

8 comments:

  1. Great page! I just saw some of these along the wood-line behind the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam! I'm amazed at the range these have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful new blog. Simple layout - a header that pulls you in - and GREAT information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your new blog. I knew that header right away. Have added it to my blog list that I try to view once a week. Your journaling is so clear. Plus knowing what colors you mixed was fun too. I don't use my magnesium blue much, but will pull that one back out.
    Pamela ( from Cathy's last watercolor pencil class)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful!! I love your header, it's PERFECT!! I'm putting you in my blogroll right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your encouragement and support!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely blog, Elizabeth! So glad you started one. I'm already following it....

    ReplyDelete