Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ferns along the boardwalk



Only spread a fern-frond over a man's head
and worldly cares are cast out,
and freedom and beauty and peace come in.
~ John Muir

Patterns in nature have always intrigued me. I focus my camera on a rock or tree bark while others are taking photos of landscapes! While walking on the boardwalk at Freedom Park the other day I was captivated by the fronds of swamp ferns and the patterns the shapes and shadows made. The ferns were lush and a gorgeous shade of green in the late afternoon sun. A sense of wonder and peace fell over me as I mused on its beauty. The quote above by John Muir (the founder of the Sierra Club) captures those feelings in a few succinct words.

I tried to capture the scene in watercolor, but I’m not sure any painting could illustrate the moment. I had to stop my painting to go to work, and when I came back to it, I decided that I liked the unfinished look of it. Somehow I felt that the light area at the bottom reflected a sense of the luminous radiance of light on leaf. Last week I participated as a visiting artist for a local summer camp, and while looking through my sketchbook, one of the children asked if I was going to finish my cormorant pencil sketch. I explained that I had decided that it WAS finished, and that it was okay to leave things a bit wanting.

That interaction started me thinking about the artist’s role as an editor. Sometimes I am so wrapped up in the details (you know me!), that I forget to let the viewer participate. I like the idea of inviting someone into a drawing or painting and letting him (or her) finish the story, so to speak. Having the outside world intrude and limit my painting made me think of other limitations as well. Limitations from the inside (as we edit the things in our drawings), as well as limitations from the outside (not having time or the right paint or color or paper) pushes us into the realm of creative problem solving.

Limitations can be our opportunity. When money and time for art are scarce, we learn to use the materials at hand or invent new ways to create. We learn that a quick drawing from the car can be as rewarding as a hour at the drawing table. Sometimes the limits come from my own expectations – when I’m disappointed in how a sketch turns out or I’ve overlooked a glaring error in perspective.

I’ve found that once I’ve reached that point, a shift in my thinking takes place. Since the art is not what I visualized and therefore “wrong”, I feel much freer to experiment since I can’t possibly make it worse! I open up creatively; the limitations have vanished. And another shift happens...many times (not always!) my willingness to experiment results in a piece that works and has more meaning.

Do you have experiences like this? How do you problem solve in life or as an artist?

15 comments:

  1. Very enlightening thoughts! I recently feel it's time for a change. I've been way too literal and want to open up the possibilities.
    Love your suggestion of pattern and light! And I agree with your approach of leaving something to the imagination...now if I can only do that myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post. I'm not an experienced enough artist yet to really problem-solve...I tend to muddle things up more when I try to "fix" them. Funny--life can be that way, too, come to think of it. I also tend to worry over things I have little or no control over. When I look back later at a sketch in my sketchbook, I tend to like it more than I did initially. I think the lesson for me here is that things aren't as bad as they seem...just give it some time.

    You really got me thinking today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think this was not finished until I read your narrative. I thought it was a great example of negative spaces. I guess that is what I want to call it. I am not a trained artist. I just know what I like and try to soak it up. My muse often reaches and stretches my imagination when I don't have the right materials or the experience to compose what I see in my minds eye. That is part of the fun of art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeanette! Thank you for your thoughts and kind words. I think the hardest part is to walk away or to let the paint play on the paper as it will. However, I feel your work is a great example of those things I want to achieve! Some of your sketchbook paintings have a lovely simplicity and grace and mingling of color that I admire so much. But, that said, I understand how we always want to get in there and add that one last thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kathy! I feel honored to receive such a compliment from a writer who often causes me to reflect throughout the day. :)

    I often muddle my way when "fixing" things as well. This is actually a great learning tool, even though it feels like I'm painting with my eyes closed at times and hoping for the best. I'm getting to the point when I can let go, though, so I guess that's progress!

    I have been thinking more lately about the process of art, which we don't talk about as much as the finished product. I think our "mistakes", experiments, and play are more valuable than we realize. When we can step back and look at our work we get a whole new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa - thank you! You are so right about the negative spaces. Those are exactly what I had to paint to get the effect I did. They were tricky, becaue I'm in the habit of seeing and painting the positive shapes.

    Even though I can claim to be a "trained" artist, I'm like you...I gravitate towards certain things and figure out how to bring it into my work. It does stretch me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This piece is a real beauty. I'm with Lisa... didn't look unfinished in the least. I was ogling the great job you did with negative painting :) Just lovely!

    I often find that by jumping in and tossing the inner critic aside gives me great freedom. Each stroke is a learning experience and I'm all about the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Pam, thank you so much! I know from your work and writing that you are the Queen of Process! You connect with your subject and the journal page so well. Sometimes I can toss that inner critic away, but other days it's not so easy.

    I like what you said about each stroke being a learning experience. One of the kids at camp used a yellow colored pencil for leaf veins with green watercolor over the top, making the veins really pop out, and I complimented her. She turned wide, surprised eyes on me, and asked incredulously "You didn't know it would do that?" I told her that I learned new things every day, and it is SO true! Next time I'll use your phrase, with your permission. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Posilutely! Please do :) And, I'm blushing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Elizabeth,

    I just happened onto your blog through the "Painted Thoughts" blog that I was originally looking at. The "Southwest FL" caught my eye and I had to look further. When I saw you mention "Freedom Park" I wondered if you might be from Naples and sure enough I think you are. We moved to Naples from Long Island, NY almost 6 years ago, but decided to spend our summers back on LI, which is where I am now. Otherwise I'd attend the upcoming sketchcrawl at the County Center.

    I, too, love nature but must avoid the sun at all costs due to a medical condition which greatly impedes my being outdoors during the day in Naples, unfornutely. There's not a lot of shade in town! I hope to paint in one when I return this fall, however.

    Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Floridian, nature lover and artist. This is me:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Judi,
    Yes, I'm from Naples and its nice to meet a like-minded friend, even though it's online!

    I'm sorry to hear you have to deal with such a challenge from the sun, and in Florida, that becomes even more of a challenge.

    The nice thing about Freedom Park is that it has several covered shelters (with benches!) that look out over either swamp or lake, and it has a central location.

    There will be another Worldwide SketchCrawl in October, and we hope to arrange one locally to coincide. Maybe that one will work out if you're back in Naples then!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Elizabeth...your ferns are so lovely! Fern foliage has always made my heart sing and your sketch has captured it's essence beautifully! I was reminded of our little log cabin in the mountains where ferns grow abundantly over the nearby rocks and mountainside. I would love to be there now enjoying a restful vacation and cooler weather. So yes...my brain (and heart) filled in the rest of your lovely sketch. Thanks for providing me the opportunity to do just that!

    I am too early in my art journey to have figured out what my style is...but enjoy trying to figure it out. Life and health problems seem to always get in my way of creating art...so I like that you said "a quick sketch can be just as satisfying as an hour at the drawing table". I wish I could ignore my perfectionist bone and just be satisfied with a quick sketch...that's the goal I need to be working on in the future!

    Glad to see that you are organizing a Sketchcrawl...wish someone in my area was interested. I guess I will go out by myself on the 23rd.

    Debo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debo - I love to see your posts! I'm so glad to spark memories of your cabin; it sounds lovely on the mountainside .

    Ferns have alsways been a love of mine, but I find them challenging to draw. I do have a penchant for details, and find myself wanting to draw every little dot and line...I have that perfectionist bone, too, and it's hard to ignore!

    I hear you on those limitations of life and health! I haven't sat down to create a "finished" painting for a while now.

    We're hoping for a nice turnout for the SketchCrawl, but one never knows. Hope it's not too hot and buggy. One of my local friends will be in NC that weekend and will going out by herself as well. We'll be thinnking of you both!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can relate to your sence of freedom when a painting or sketch isn't turning out quite right so just feel free to experiment with the piece. Sometimes I think my subconscious mind takes over and actually has something good to say.

    I love your ferns.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning Elva, and thank you. I like your comment about the subconscious mind taking over and having a say! When that happens I always get a surprise of some sort - have you ever had that feeling when the painting seems to be painting itself?

    ReplyDelete