Saturday, June 5, 2010

Blog Award


Thank you to Kathy A. Johnson of Catching Happiness for awarding me the “Beautiful Blogger” award!
I’m relatively new to blogging, starting only last September. I have been learning ever since.

Part of the award meme is that I inform my readers of ten random facts about myself, and pass the award to four blogs. Although I try to browse different types of blogs, my favorites will always be art and nature related. So let’s do the fun stuff first!

 Elva’s Field Notes, Elva Paulson
Lovely sketches, enjoyable writing, I always learn something! Oregon.

Just Around the Corner, Debbie Drechsler
Close-up observations of nature, many from her walks in California. She knows everything about mushrooms.

Red and the Peanut, Kelly Riccetti
Gorgeous photos and well-observed watercolors. Very knowledgeable about birds. Ohio.

South Carolina Low Country Nature Journaling and Art, Pam Johnson Brickell
She creates wonderful journal pages about the natural world of South Carolina. She knows her plants and birds!

And now for the ten random facts:

1. My art skills are largely self-taught, and I believe everyone has artistic abilities within themselves.

2. As a child, I got to help my father band doves and ducks. I will never forget the feel of delicate bird bones and the muted rainbow colors of a mourning dove’s feathers.

3. I’m happiest when I am drawing or painting or walking in the woods.

4. I once found a dead hummingbird, stuffed it with cotton balls, and kept it in a shoebox under my bed. My parents were not amused.

5. Snakes don’t bother me. I kept rat snakes for a friend of mine for a year.

6. Although I live in Florida, I have a secret passion for the desert, especially near the mountains. Geology was a favorite.

7. While I like to make lists, I don’t necessarily like to make lists about myself. Thanks, Kathy. :D

8. I have a fear of stinging insects. This goes back to an unfortunate run-in with a hornet’s nest when I was about 8 or 9 years old.

9. When pressed, I find it hard to name a favorite color. I find myself lost in thought and memories of all of the stunning colors I’ve ever seen.

10. When I type my blog name into  the Typealyzer  I’m informed that my blog personality type is that of mechanic. You can enter my blog address into that website to read more about it.   Apparently my blog is heavily weighted toward the left brain. Hmmmm. Perhaps there should be more art?

If you must know more, you can visit this page when I was tagged on Flickr.  But enough about me, visit the blogs above and enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Thank you, Elizabeth! I'm honored that you chose my blog for the Beautiful Blogger Award and am pleased to be in such good company in receiving the award from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Elizbeth! It's well deserved! And, thank you so for passing it along to me! I'm honored and blushing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed learning more about you, Elizabeth. It's encouraging to hear your art skills are self-taught. And while you have a secret passion for the desert, I have a secret passion for the mountains! I have to agree, though, that the desert landscape is beautiful in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debbie – your words are a wonderful compliment. I don’t always have time to post comments, but I so enjoy seeing your work and reading about your travels around the neighborhood! Your detail sometimes amazes me.

    Hello Pam! Thank you. I can’t tell you how much your work inspires me. I even revived my old calligraphy skills because of the beautiful way you combine word and image. And you have mastered watercolor pencils; something I’m still working on.

    Thank you Kathy – I really felt like I knew you better too after reading your ten random facts. I do feel that people should not let their (perceived) lack of art skills hold them back if they feel the urge to draw or paint. You have a wonderful way with words…maybe something is pushing you now to create images to go along with them?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Elizabeth!!!! What a surprise. I LOVE your blog and your beautiful journaling. You are an inspiration to me, so I was very happy to receive the award! Thanks, again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly, and thank you as well! I don't always have time to comment n a thoughtful way, but I so enjoy your observations, photos, and watercolors of birds. I'm glad we can inspire each other!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What interesting facts. I can never nail it down to one favourite colour either and how sweet that you kept that little hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Serena! Thank you for your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete