Saturday, May 22, 2010

Florida privet


Florida privet, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

This multi-branched, fine-leaved shrub is fruiting right now in Southwest Florida. the berries are a deep indigo blue with a dull satin sheen to them. I've seen many different types of birds in these shrubs, but haven't observed any species in particular eating the berries.

A flowering Florida privet seems to attract a lot of insects, which also attracts the birds, especially the small warblers. I think it also provides a welcome intermediate cover between the ground and the taller trees.

One thing I didn't show here in my close-up study of the leaves, gall, and berries is the delightful arching droop the larger branches have taken. The older shrubs have a willow-like grace to them, but with more branching.

You can click on the image above to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

3 comments:

  1. A wonderful entry in your nature journal, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if these grow in Central Florida--do you know? I'm still learning about Florida flora and fauna--very different from where I grew up in California.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Serena!

    Hi Kathy! According to one of my reference books, Florida privet has a native range up into coastal Georgia. It grows in zones 8 to 11, so should do well in central Florida. I know what you mean about the plants being so different...I'm originally from the midwest! I'm especially interested in native plants, so you'll see a lot of them on my blog.

    ReplyDelete