Sunday, September 27, 2009

I need to take my own advice more often…

At least when it comes to drawing exercises. If I’m sketching regularly I can easily slip right into drawing; I don’t wrestle much, the drawing seems to draw itself.

But when I’ve been away from my sketchpad or journal, facing a block, or approaching a tough subject, I need to take the advice I give others. Go back to basics: gesture and contour drawing exercises. Remember those from school?

I find that gesture drawing is a great way to loosen up. I have a tendency to draw from the wrist, which is great for detail studies, which I love. Drawing with the whole arm, from the shoulder, makes me connect with my subject in a dynamic, unfettered way. Because it’s the drawing in the framework of an exercise, I also let go of any expectations.

Freedom to draw without expectation is…well, freeing. And my detailed study afterwards seems to flow much better.

I enjoyed the gesture drawing in pencil so much that I tried one in watercolor, just to see what it would be like. I was more pleased with that one than the more detailed study I did afterwards!


7 comments:

  1. Wow, Elizabeth! Great post! Your detailed study is beautiful but, oh how your gesture wc study sings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam, I couldn't ask for a better comment! And it was fun to do, because it was just an exercise, no outcome desired.

    I think it helped me make a better detailed drawing, too; it gave me the confidence to draw with the Micron Pigma pen instead of creating a pencil drawing first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, how nice to know that I'm not the only one who "loses skills" when not drawing/painting every day. I thought it was just me.... And that's incentive enough to keep going, making it a daily practice, even sketching 15 minutes a day if I can't actually get to paint until the weekend. Thanks for being so inspiring!
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...My son just gave me the same advice last night. Practice long looping lines just to loosen my hand and arm up. Twice in 24 hours... I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista - I'm so glad my words help! Even just a few minutes a day helps me as I don't usually have time to paint until the weekend either.

    Katherine, isn't synchronicity great? If nothing else, gesture drawing helps to "reacquaint" my hand with the paper and pencil. I've heard that if you really want to get loose, try painting with your non-dominant hand! (I have yet to try this) :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth - I love your style of sketching. Every post is interesting and every sketch page is so neatly laid-out. What a beautiful handwriting you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Sketch Gurl. I so appreciate your comments - especially as I have working on my handwriting! :)

    ReplyDelete