Sunday, June 26, 2011

An unlikely visitor – a wayward cormorant

Sketching with a brush and watercolor paint directly onto the paper.  From my photo reference.  The cormorant was tired at this point, and bunched its neck up close to its body, huddling near the floor.
Last week a cormorant walked into our cabinet shop. It padded in with an air of determination, and headed for a dark enclosed area in the rear. Cormorants are water birds, and happy, healthy water birds do not like dry concrete and sawdust. Suspecting that the bird may be ill, we gently tried to herd it outside with a handy broom. It would NOT leave.

Naturally, I felt the need to grab the camera and take some photos for future reference. Cormorants have glossy brown feathers that follow the contours of their duck-like body, and a sinuous snake-like neck. They look very much like another water bird, the anhinga. Both are diving and fish-eating birds, but the cormorant has a hooked tip at the end of its long, slender bill, while the cormorant has a pointed tip.


A pencil sketch from my reference photo .
 After a phone call to the injured wildlife extension of our local Conservancy Nature Center, they recommended that we bring the bird to them for observation. Luckily, we had a large cardboard box, and we cut ventilation holes in the top for air flow. Well, even sick birds don’t want to be put into a large cardboard box! It had no energy for flight, but was an energetic walker and dodger.

The nature center had warned us to wear safety glasses or sunglasses when we handled it, and minutes later I found out those cormorants have VERY sharp bills, and was glad I was wearing my glasses. When I put the lid onto the box, my left hand wasn’t as nimble as my right and I now have two shallow slashes near the nail bed of my middle finger. Ouch!

I drove to the Conservancy without further mishap and dropped the cormorant off to more capable people. I called to check up on it the next day, and they told me that the poor bird was dehydrated and underweight, and that they were giving fluids and keeping it in the incubator for warmth. I think the poor bird was on its last legs when it came to us; they said it might be 24 to 48 hours before they knew if the bird would pull through. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

You can also visit my Flickr photostream to see other nature sketchbook images.

7 comments:

  1. I'll add my crossed fingers and positive thoughts to yours, Elizabeth! Hope it makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, what an unusual experience. He knew whoes shop to wander into. I hope he makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Laure and Elva. I'm hoping so too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I look in on your blog and was surprised today to see the cormorant, and the story about it. I live in Central Florida between Tampa and Lakeland,, and lakes and waterways here are full of these birds. I too have rescued many of these creatures, and just wanted to say how much I appreciated your kindness to these animals.. I hope it will be alright , but know that you did your part. and then some..
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Barbra, thank you for visiting. I'm sorry to report that the cormorant passed away...I do feel hope that it felt some comfort in the care given by those at the Conservancy. I wish it had wandered in sooner, though. They said that it was half the weight it should have been, so something was terribly wrong.

    How wonderful that you've had the opportunity to help these birds - they are beautiful to observe up close, and it still had the most beautifully colored glossy brown feathers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear the cormorant didn't make it. Even when the outcome is not what we want, I always feel priveleged to be part of the cycle of nature. Hopefully his/her last hours were more comfortable and less scary than they would have been otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy, thanks for stopping by. I happened by your blog yesterday and was thinking of you. Your reflections on things you love in Florida made me smile.

    As you said - I do feel privileged to been part of the cycle, and I have no doubt that comfort was present in some form.

    ReplyDelete