Saturday, January 1, 2011

Gulf Fritillary Butterfly


Gulf Fritillary Butterfly, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

I’ve read that in the winter months, Gulf Fritillaries migrate from southern US states into the south Florida peninsula. Maybe that’s why I’m seeing so many of these brightly colored and patterned butterflies lately. Or perhaps it’s the new growth of Passiflora species I see popping up throughout my yard. Gulf Fritillaries use Passiflora as a larval food as well as a nectar source, and I often see the butterflies and caterpillars near this plant.

My model for these studies was found on the ground, possibly a victim of one of our recent freezing temperature dips. I was sad to find it dead, but happy to be able to observe it closely and sketch it from different angles. If you’d like to see an earlier journal entry showing the Passiflora leaves, and the Gulf Fritillary caterpillar and chrysalis, please click here.

To read more, see beautiful photos, and learn some interesting facts about the Gulf Fritillary butterfly, please visit these links:

University of Florida IFAS

Tree of Life

Butterfly Fun Facts

Wikipedia

You can also click on the caption under the image to view it on my Flickr photostream.  A very happy New Year to my online friends!

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful sketch, Elizabeth! I've notice quite a few around as well and was quite worried when the temps dropped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen very many here at home, but the freezes have damaged my butterfly-attracting plants pretty badly. I'll have to keep my eyes open when I'm out and about elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...this illustration is lovely. I would like to learn how to create vignettes like this some day. It's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laure, thanks! It was a good season for these butterflies; I've seen a lot this summer and fall, and glad you had them up there as well.

    Sorry to hear about your plant damage, Kathy, this has been a crazy winter, hasn't it? you might be interested in this site, Florida Wildflowers, for seed packets of wildflowers native to Florida, many of which provide great nectar sources. A lower cost than buying plants!

    What a compliment, Kelly, from someone who creates such wonderful bird paintings! This page really just seemed to create itself as I studied my subject from several angles. I'm always happy when things turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful page, Elizabeth!! It must be true about the Gulf Fritillaries - ours have been gone for several months.

    ReplyDelete