Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Magnolia


Magnolia, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

Magnolia has become a popular landscaping tree here in Southwest Florida, although it has a native range of Central Florida up into North Carolina and Texas. I always think of this tree as representing the “Old South” along with Spanish moss-draped live oaks.

The flowers can be huge!  And the scent - like a slighty lemony peony - is clean and not cloying.  Besides these creamy-white velvety blooms, magnolias also have glossy, thick leaves and a distinctive seed cone. You can see an example of these seed cones, or "burrs" here on this blog, and another one here on my Flickr page.

I’m trying out my calligraphy on this journal entry, inspired by other journal keepers who use words beautifully: Pam Johnson Brickell  and Gay Kraeger. I might add that I was also inspired by the rediscovery of my old Sanford calligraphic pen! I’m a bit out of practice, but it’s surprising how quickly those skills come back.

You can click on the image above to view it larger on my Flickr photostream. Thanks for stopping by, and please visit Pam and Gay for further inspiration!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful rendering of the magnolia. We have several small trees in our yard, and I can't wait for one of them to bloom. The backs of the leaves are such a soft, velvety bronze that they are just as pretty as the shiny green fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kathy. :) How lucky you are to have SEVERAL trees! Magnolias are a disctinctive tree all-around... I agree with you on the leaves, such lovely things front and back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They will be trees someday--but right now I'm taller than all of them. Do they still count? :)

    Also, wanted to let you know that I passed on an award to you on my blog today: the Beautiful Blogger award. Don't know if you really get into that, but I thought I'd share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they count, they're just littler!

    Thank you so much for the award - this is something new to me since I'm still learning about the whole blogging world. What a nice gesture!

    ReplyDelete