Saturday, May 22, 2010

Snake skin


Snake skin, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

Found on the ground: a papery memory of a snake event. Apparently snakes shed their skins several times a year, depending on their age and environmental factors. My young friends were kind enough to bring me this gift to add to my nature journal. It was interesting to draw the wonderful folds and crinkles and scales - not to mention the occasional whiffs of a peculiar "snake" smell!

You can click on the image to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

2 comments:

  1. I've always found it quite fascinating how snakes shed their skin. Some years back, way before I was drawn to keeping a visual journal, my son found a snake skin when we were bush-walking one day. It was so interesting and looked quite fragile but probably wasn't. Great sketch and detail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Serena! I'm not sure how fragile the shed skins are if they are stored carefully. They seem to deteriorate rapidly when exposed to our SW Florida elements, though - we have some pretty intense sun and rain in the summers. They ARE fascinating things to study!

    ReplyDelete