Monday, April 12, 2010

Iris


Iris, originally uploaded by Elizabeth Smith.

Sunday – rainy and stormy – a perfect day to get out my reference photos of this native iris. I took these on Easter Sunday as we meandered through the Corkscrew Sanctuary Boardwalk. These are also blooming at Freedom Park in Naples, dotting the wet ground in subtle bursts of color.

I’m trying out my new Kimberly watercolor pencils in the Aquabee sketchbook. So far, so good!

You can click on the image above to view it larger on my Flickr photostream.

7 comments:

  1. So beautiful. I love iris, and you did a lovely job here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful sketches - the pencil lend themselves very well to the veins in the petals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like those pencils are working well for you, Elizabeth! I enjoyed learning about your native iris. I've been meaning to do some sketches and info about ours --- your post inspires me to get out and do some sketching before they're gone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kathy and Laure! I love iris, too, and they look so gorgeous now because we've have some extra rain this spring. I didn't realize how well the watercolor pencils would work for this subject until I was actually in the middle of it, bu they were the perfect media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Debbie! Get out there and enjoy, enjoy!! Love to see your iris drawings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well worth clicking for the larger view....beautiful job, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Serena - I enjoyed sketching this so much!

    ReplyDelete