Last year I tried to paint this orchid, a vibrant pink-purple Cattleya orchid given to me by a friend. I was not happy with the result, partly due to the elusive nature of the fluorescent pink undertones. It's starting to bloom again now, so I should have plenty of time to practice! One of my artist friends on Flickr, Sigrid Frensen, suggested that I try a color called Opera Rose, and so far I think I'm on the right track. I did some color trials (below left), and settled on Opera Rose, Quinacridone Pink, and Ultramarine Blue. I tried these out on a three-quarter view and a top view of one of the blooms.